Wednesday 20 October 2010

In the Making



As we didn't have much time for this task I took pictures of Hannah around the college, which was fine because of the type of magazine that we were meant to be creating. I took quite a few images but here I will explain why one image didn't work and why another did.


I did not choose this as my final photograph for my college magazine cover, I felt that the picture firstly had too much going on in the background which distracts the eye away from the subject. Another thing wrong with this picture would be the way the subject is standing, you cannot see their face and their head is down, this would make pupils in the college think it is a poorly designed magazine as their is no eye contact with the audience. This photograph is also a mid-shot which is too far away for a magazine cover. Also this photograph is landscape and not portrait, which means that there is more of the background then the subject. This will again distract your eye away from the subject. Altogether this image would not work for a magazine cover.
I felt that the picture had less going on in the background but still had a little something which related to a main sell in my magazine (the freshers party). So this means that you eye is more focused on the main image, the subject. The subject is looking straight into the camera which will catch the audiences eye. They have their head up, their hair out their face and they are smiling. This will appeal to the students who this magazine is for a lot more than the other image. The fact that she is like this shows that this college is a happy environment and a nice place to be.

Another thing about this picture which makes it better is that it is altogether a lot lighter, the background is nice and light and this image can easily be edited if I wanted to. This photograph is portrait medium close up which is needed when using an image for a magazine cover. Lastly, this image means that it is easier to place main sells around it as the background is nice and light with not a lot going on. This means that there is less need for editing. I decided that this is a great photo to use as my final photograph for my magazine cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment